PDA

View Full Version : TUTORIAL - How To Upgrade Jailbroken Phone In iTunes

milan64586
24-11-2008, 12:22
How To Upgrade In iTunes

Upgrading in iTunes on a jailbroken device has become rather complicated in order to avoid problems. I have made a step-by-step guide to help in this process to help you understand the proper way to upgrade. For the purpose of this guide, I will use as an example upgrading from 2.0.2 to 2.1. However, the concepts apply to any upgrade.

First off, if you have never jailbroken, you don’t need to worry about this guide. Just hook your iPhone up to your computer and tap the “upgrade” button and wait. That’s it! Now proceed to the jailbreak guide of your choice.

The complications come when you have a jailbroken device and you want to upgrade. Say you are running 2.0.2 and have a lot of Cydia apps installed. You want to upgrade but you don’t want to lose these apps. You may have a lot of customizations, icons hidden, and other things. If you upgrade, you will find your hidden icons are still hidden but the apps required to unhide them are not yet installed. Here are some steps to help:

First off, you never use “upgrade” on a jailbroken device. If you do that, you automatically lose about 500mb of disk space and never recover it until you finally restore. If you upgrade from 2.0 to 2.0.1 using upgrade button, you lose 500mb. If you then upgrade from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, you lose *another* 500mb. And this continues until you hit the restore button. The data loss is because Cydia moves your files around to free up space. The moved files become inaccessible but stay on your disk which means you essentially just lose the space. The more apps you had installed in Cydia, the more space you lose.

The solution to this is easy. Restore, do not upgrade. Here are the steps that you should take on a 2.0 device to upgrade without any loss or issues:

Step 0) Before starting, upgrade your iTunes first. If you are moving to 2.1, you need iTunes 8. Upgrade that now. You can get all iTunes versions for Windows here.

Step 1) Install aptbackup from cydia and run it to backup your apps. This will make a list of all your cydia installed apps and put the list in a location that can be backed up by iTunes in step 2.

Step 2) Sync with iTunes. Do the full backup. It may take you a while on 2.0 - 2.0.2 but you need this step. Go get dinner or coffee or watch a movie. Come back when it’s done. If you disabled backup in iTunes then you can still backup by right clicking on the device under “Devices” on the left and selecting “backup”. Do not get impatient and interrupt the backup. If you do, it will be corrupted and useless. You would lose everything on your restore.

Step 3) Restore your firmware. If you are upgrading to the latest version of firmware you can just let it download and restore. To do this, click “restore” and wait. If you would rather download the firmware manually, you can get all firmwares here.

Step 4) At this point, if you are a contract subscriber (AT&T or such) you need to activate your device in iTunes. Just hook it up and wait, it should auto activate allowing you to slide to unlock to icons. If you are unlocking, you probably see “slide for emergency” only. Do not do anything else in iTunes at this point. Disconnect your device from your computer. Do not restore your backup, do not set up as a new phone, just remove the device.

Step 5) Do not restore your backup in iTunes yet. Instead, jailbreak your device now. I suggest using quickpwn. You can follow my guide here.

Step 6) Using Cydia, install aptbackup. This is the most important part, do not skip any of it. The rest of this step will allow you to correct any problems you encounter in the next steps.
a) Install open SSH.
b) If you had 5 icon dock installed before the upgrade, install that now also.
c) Install BossPrefs

Step 7) Restore your backup from iTunes. Just hook back up to the computer and when asked, restore as a backup from whichever iPhone you had.

Step 8) iTunes will restore your settings, contacts, notes, pictures, and all your apps. Now to restore the rest of your Cydia installs. Open aptbackup and hit restore. It should reinstall all your packages from Cydia. If aptbackup is now hidden (missing icon) after your iTunes restore, load BossPrefs, go to hidden icons, and unhide it. You can also unhide any other hidden icons here.

Step 9) If you had a bunch of category folders and moved most things into it, the iTunes backup will have made these icons disappear. You can unhide them via BossPrefs.

For any help not listed here refer to my other post describing the issue in greater detail.

milan64586
24-11-2008, 12:27
Imam neka pitanja u vezi ovoga, pa ako bi neko mogao da mi razjasni dilemu...

First off, you never use “upgrade” on a jailbroken device. If you do that, you automatically lose about 500mb

Step 3) Restore your firmware. If you are upgrading to the latest version of firmware you can just let it download and restore.

Zar ove stvari ne iskljucju jedna drugu? Sta onda zapravo raditi? Da li se mora uraditi prvo restore postojeceg fw, pa onda upgrade, ili ipak moze upgrade, pa posle aptbackup "otkrije" sve postojece programe instalirane preko cyduia-e?

Niko
24-11-2008, 19:25
Mislim da hoće da kažu:

First off, you never use “upgrade” on a jailbroken device. If you do that, you automatically lose about 500mb - da ne radiš regularan update, jer će ti to zaključati telefon. (ono 500 mb je verovatno cidiya i ... ne znam ???

Step 3) Restore your firmware. If you are upgrading to the latest version of firmware you can just let it download and restore. - opet se mislim ovo odnosi na telefone koji nisu jailbrake-ovani, tj samo resto re i radiće

Mislim da svi programi moraju nanovo da se instaliraju. E sad, mislim da se ovo odnosi na app tipa Directories, tj ako npr imaš tu app, pa instaliraš novi fv, instaliraš zatim tetris a pošto ti je on na prethodnom fw bio u direktorijumu (nekom) neće ti prikazati ikonicu. Barem ja tako mislim, ali nisam siguran... ???

milan64586
24-11-2008, 19:42
E jbg, ja morao da probam, posto niko nista ne odgovara i evo vec sam skoro sve zavrsio. Medjutim ovo sa aptbackup izgleda da neradi. Odradio sam sve kako su rekli i probavam sada da uradim restore i nece. Inace vratio sam fw 2.1, nisam hteo 2.2 zato sto cekam soft unloc,a ove varijante sa nekim polu-upgrade-om mi nekako ne ulivaju poverenje.

Mene ipak najvise interesuje onaj tekst. Kako sam ja razumeo sta hoce da kazu, rekli su da ako uradis upgrade fw, a prethodno ne uradis backup programa iz cydia-e preko aptbackup, onda ces izgubiti 500 mb prostora, sto valjda pojedu programi iz cydia-e. Sad mi nije jasno sta se meni desilo, posto sam uradio restore, ne upgrade i itunes mi pokazuje da imam ukupno 7.08 gb koliko sam imao i pre...

Niko
25-11-2008, 10:36
Hmmm, to nisam znao. Ja se još dvoumim da ga dignem na 2.2 jrr mi muka da sve aplikacije instaliram opet :(. Ako to uradim, prethodno ću da uninstall-iram sve iz cydia. Mada mi nije jasno kako to da izgubiš 500 mb ??? Zar novi fw ne bi trebalo da briše sve? Valjda neko zna više o ovome. Sačekaćemo još...

milan64586
25-11-2008, 12:27
Ma ja sam se gadno za*ebao, jer niko nije odgovarao, a mene je kopkalo to da probam, plus mi je irealsms bagovao, pa sam hteo da uradim restore, a posto nikada do sada nisam radio restore sa "kompletiranim" telefonom (imenik, slike, programi), vec sam sa praznim, naisao sam na milion problema. PRvo nisam znao da se .ipa programi ne vracaju, a meni je 90% takvih, onda mi je sada poremetio ono prepoznavanje imena u imeniku, pa to moram da vracam. Pritom ili ja nesto nisam dobro uradio, ili taj aptbackup ne radi svoj posao. Uradio sam sve kako pise u onom tekstu i kada sam uradio restore iz aptbackup-a, napisao mi je da moram prethodno da vratim backup iz itunes-a, sto sam ja vec uradio. Sada nemam pojma prvo da li je ono iz teksta o "jedenju" 500 mb tacno. Itunes pokazuje da je kapacitet memorije normalan, kao i ranije. Sad jedino ne znam da li mogu na to da se oslonim i da nije neki fake prikaz. Meni takodje nije logicno da bilo sta ostane ako se uradi restore, ali onaj tekst je nekako neshvatljiv, dvosmislen, bar za mene, pa ne znam sada sta da mislim.

Nadam se da ce se neko javiti ko ima iskustva sa ovim stvarima, pa da razresimo tu dilemu... :-\

nikolal
01-12-2008, 10:40
ljudi ja sam updejtovao na 2.2 i onda sam ga jailbreakovao i cak mi je povecao memoriju kada sam ga kupio free je bilo 14.4 a sada je free 14.6